Monday, May 6, 2013

Laughing in Chinese

Well, a week from now, I will be in China. CHINA. I can't even fathom that. I feel so unprepared and so excited all at the same time. Being immersed in a new culture and a new world is thrilling.

The only thing I know how to say is "Hello" (Ni Hao), "help me" (Bong wo), and "My name is Kaitlin" (Wo Shir Kaitlin). So, that should get me far... Hopefully, the pictures of words I took on my iPad will come in handy.

Trying to pack is the one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I used one of those vacuum bags that you can vacuum the air out of, but I didn't think about having to get all of those vacuum packed clothes back. Praying that there is a vacuum in the dorm I will be staying in. I assume they have vacuums right?? I have packed half of my tshirts and running shorts and half of my semi-cute clothes. Do I go for comfort or cute? I DON'T KNOW. (You never know when you'll meet your  husband-- airport, study abroad student, etc.).

I  also keep acting like I'm going to a third world country when China is probably more high tech than America. It is the fear of the unknown that completely freaks me out. Trusting in God is a must when partaking in an adventure like this. I pray that he gives me peace and that he opens my eyes to things I would not have otherwise seen.

Three weeks is quite a while. I have no idea what I was doing three weeks ago. I'm sure I will get homesick and miss the time with my family and friends, but I know it will be the experience of a lifetime. I want to come back to America and be completely changed forever. I think that's when you know it was a successful trip. I'm not okay with missing my brother's high school graduation or my best friend's birthday, so this experience better be worth it. I'll bring them back awesome gifts from the authentic Chinatown.

Life is too short not to take risks like this. It can be very scary, but all of the best roller coasters are. I'm ready for this really wild ride. Maybe I'll even learn how to properly laugh in Chinese while I'm there. It's a goal of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment