Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Perhaps She'll Die

It was just a regular, beautiful day at UNA, and I was giving a tour of the lovely campus. The family was great, it was perfect weather, and it was a great last tour of the semester. It could not have gone any better.

The family got to see the fountain, the lions, and all of the lovely people at UNA. We were near the end of our tour, about to go to the residence halls when I felt something in my mouth. I wiped off a black speck and thought to myself, "I didn't eat breakfast since I was late so what is this?" I looked away and wiped something else off my teeth. Guts. Bug guts. I WIPED BUG GUTS OFF MY MOUTH.

I continued to be awkward and apologize. I explained that there was a bug in my mouth. The mother laughed and I had to decide whether or not I should spit in front of this family or just swallow my pride....and the bug. I swallowed the remainder of the bug. Yep, I swallowed a fly. What's that old nursery rhyme? "I don't know why she swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die." Yeah, I thought I would die.

I continued on with the tour and acted as if I had not just swallowed a fly. The only thing I could think to make myself feel better was that it was protein. So, on Monday, I had a fly for breakfast. Not waffles, not cereal, a fly.

Maybe I should learn to refrain from talking constantly so that my mouth can close for a few seconds. When it stays open, it's a huge entrance for the rest of the flies buzzing around that I didn't swallow yet.

But hey, at least I got my protein for the day and made the mom on the tour laugh a lot. What's life without a few weird mishaps every once and a while??

No comments:

Post a Comment