Wednesday, March 20, 2013

K Chap Takes DC

Hello from the nation's capital!

This week, I will be reporting live from Washington D.C.!

The past two days have been non-stop and full of culture and fun! Traveling is one of my favorite things to do, and having the opportunity to visit such a powerful, historical place is life changing. 

I witnessed a small piece of history on Tuesday night. We watched President Obama be picked up in a helicopter and flown from The White House to the base camp where the Air Force One is held to fly him to Israel. 

Whether you agree with Obama's principles or not, he is the leader of our country and deserves our respect. We spent several hours with a woman who works for him and she told us about his dedication to his children and his patience with his staff. Also, he is usually always late, which made me feel better about being late all the time. (I guess he can do that since he's the president, and I can't since I'm not). 

Seeing The White House, The Lincoln Memorial, the different war memorials, the graves of thousands and thousands of soldiers, the graves of The Kennedys, and the soldiers that now serve our country gave me chills and pride in my country. 

As I watched a flag billow in the wind and read the names of those killed in Vietnam, I was stunned. I walked up the steps to see the massive statue of Lincoln and thanked God for blessing our country with such strong leaders. 

We live in a country full of honor and freedom, and I think we all tend to take advantage of  how special this place is. It has its flaws, but it really is great to be American.

Reporting live from D.C.,

I'm Kaitlin Chappell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment